Ebates 101: Get a free $10 and learn how to earn money online while shopping
Ebates is one of my absolute favorite discoveries after online shopping. Ebates gives me cash back on almost every purchase I make. Free money! Woohoo!
Moving to the US and discovering that I could shop online at almost any store, while still being in the comfort of my own home, AND not have to pay ridiculous shipping fees was AWESOME!
It saved me time and embarrassment (I get a little self conscious when I shop by myself).
But, best of all, It saved me money! Because I could easily do an online comparison shop to find the store that had the best price.
And that’s where EBATES saved me even more. They offered me cash back for my purchase. I found out I could “make” money on all my purchases that I was going to make anyway.
ON a side note, Ebates is also available ‘ in store’ if you do not shop online.
What is Ebates?
Ebates is an online shopping portal with over 2000 stores on their website. Their stores are not limited to clothing and electronics. Hotels, air travel and car rentals, among other things are also part of their inventory.
Best part is Ebates is not just offered in the US. It’s also available in Canada, China, Korea & Japan.
How does Ebates work? Why would Ebates offer you cash back? What’s in it for them?
Put simply, Ebates works through affiliate marketing. Ebates gets paid a commission to refer customers to online stores.
They split this commision with you, which you receive it in the form of cash back.
Every three months, you receive a big fat check with all that bonus cash for buying what you would have bought anyway.
How much does it cost to sign up for Ebates?
NOTHING. It’s absolutely free.
In fact, you can receive a free $10 just for signing up here. Then, go ahead and make your first purchase at any store in Ebates of at least $25 and then wait for your cash back check.
Is Ebates safe?
Yes it is. The Ebates website or cash back button do not store your card information. They use your email address and your physical address so they know who to send the money to.
However, if you choose to use Ebates in store, then you will need to link your credit card to the Ebates app. This is so they can keep track of your purchases so you can receive your cashback.
Still seems too good to be true? Is Ebates even worth it?
Try this scenario…Macy’s is offering 9% cashback through Ebates. You use the Ebates-Macy’s link to purchase $100 worth of clothing. You’ve just made back $9 on your purchase. Not a huge amount but that’s still a 10% discount. And over time, your cash back adds up until you receive that big fat check. Give it a try. I promise you won’t regret it!
Here’s a little tip…You can save even more if you combine your Ebates shopping trip with Macy’s coupons (which you can also find through Ebates). Plus, using a cashback credit can save you even more money.
How do I get started with Ebates?
- Sign up for an account. Click here to receive a free $10 bonus as long as you make your first purchase within 90 days of opening your account on an order of $25 or more.
- Search for the store you want to make your purchase from.
- Click on the link through Ebates and start shopping. You will see a window pop-up saying ‘Congratulations, you are on your way to earning cash back.’
- See if Ebates has any coupons on their website for your store and apply them.
- Once, you have made your purchase, you will receive a confirmation email within a day from Ebates.
- And that’s it. Your cash back will arrive as a check or in your Paypal account in 3 months.If you do not receive your cash back, which happens very rarely, you can always contact Ebates customer service. They are amazing!
Ebates Hacks to maximize earnings
1. Download the Ebates Cash Back Button.
Without this, it’s easy to forget about getting your cash back when you are rushing to complete your purchase. With the Ebates cash back button, you will never miss out on free money. It makes it seamless and easy to get your cashback.
How to install Ebates cash back button
- Login to your Ebates account.
- Select the Help option from the Ebates menu at the top
- Under Help Topics, select ‘More Features’, and you should see the Ebates cash back button listed there.
- Choose either the Ebates Chrome extension, Safari extension, FIrefox extension or Edge extension.
How to use the Ebates Button
- To use the Ebates button, simply visit the website of your favorite store. If that store is part of the Ebates program, a red Ebates button will pop up on your screen asking you to activate your cash back.
- Click on the red button to activate your cash back. This opens up a ‘shopping trip’ to track your purchase.
- When you are ready to checkout Ebates, will also apply any coupons if available to save you even more.
2. Get the app on your phone
The Ebates app sometimes offers even more cashback than the desktop version. I usually check my phone and the website to see which gives me the best cashback.
3. Prefer to shop in store?
The Ebates app has an in store option. Simply open up the app, link your credit card to an offer and make an instore purchase with your linked credit card.
4. Buy online….Pick up in Store
Many stores now offer a ‘Pick up in store’ option. This is a great option if you want the item the same day and/or want to avoid shipping fees but still want the cash back.
5. Planning a trip?
Book your hotel through Ebates Hotels and earn cash back on your hotel stay.
6. Use the Ebates Visa cash back card to earn even more cash back.
Cons of Ebates
- While they have a huge number of stores, not every store is part of their program. Also, if you love Amazon, Ebates offers cashback only on select categories with Amazon.
- You have to wait for three months to get your payment.
Ebates will give you cash back for all your shopping that you would do anyway.
Ebates is safe and legit.
Ebates offers several ways to earn cash back – The Ebates website, the cash back button, the app, and their cash back credit card.
So there you have it. Everything you wanted to know about Ebates. Ready to get started?
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Rest assured, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.